Friday, July 23, 2021

McCormick's Creek State Park

 In my continuing quest to hike all Indiana State Parks (I haven't already done) this year, my next stop on July 4th weekend was McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer, IN.  This was definitely my favorite for the weekend so far.  There were two waterfalls:  one smaller, and one bigger one.  The trails were beautiful, but I will say they could have marked them better.  The signs were posted in odd places, and a couple of times I had to ask hikers coming the opposite way if I was going in the right direction.

Here are the waterfalls I encountered:



They also had a cave called Wolf Cave that was formed as underground water dissolved the limestone bedrock and carved out a network of passageways. Over the years Wolf Cave became exposed by the powerful forces of erosion. The cave is now dry because the underground stream it once carried has carved lower passageways.



Here are a few pictures of the trail.  We crossed a couple of streams, and of course Jovie decided to cool off!




What's your favorite part of hiking?

No comments:

Miami 2022 - Part 1

  Every year for my birthday I take a trip, usually somewhere warm.   Due to the pandemic and the restrictions on travel I decided to stay i...