Friday, July 23, 2021

Harmonie State Park/Shakamak State Park

 After I drug myself away from New Harmony, Indiana I made my way to Harmonie State Park located nearby.  Once I located the trail head for the trail I wanted to hike Jovie and I set off.  It is really a pretty park, with the Wabash River in full view.



We passed a couple of streams along our path, and Jovie took full advantage of drinking and cooling off!  It's hard to tell in this picture, but she is laying in the stream.  The water was cool and clean.


Here is a picture of a part of the trail.  So pretty and serene!


After we finished hiking at Harmonie State Park we made our way to Shakamak (I was told by locals this is pronounced Shack-a-Mack).  This place looked like a manmade recreation area, so to me it was kind of meh, but it might be fun to go back a kayak.  I saw quite a bit of wildlife in the water.  




See the ducks in that last picture?  When they saw me walking on the trail the mama duck started frantically quacking and all her little duckies lined up behind her and they swam into the lilies!  So cute.

But by FAR the most interesting thing I saw here was a snake sunning itself on a small tree on the side of the trail.  As I approached I saw it but couldn't tell what it was right away.  It didn't move a muscle as I walked around taking its picture.  I never could find its head.  Hmmmm.  The headless snake?  Perhaps not.  This is a harmless gray ratsnake, excellent climbers, and great for rodent control.


I spent the night at a dicey hotel (because they accepted dogs) in Terre Haute, IN.  Let's just say the carpet felt sticky (insert yuck emoji of your choice here).  Ewwww.

I did have a very nice conversation with my chatty server at the restaurant where I ate dinner.  The food was so-so, but it was really nice to talk to someone!

Next stop:  McCormick's Creek State Park!

No comments:

Miami 2022 - Part 1

  Every year for my birthday I take a trip, usually somewhere warm.   Due to the pandemic and the restrictions on travel I decided to stay i...