Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Puerto Rico - Day 2 - Old San Juan

 

San Juan is Puerto Rico’s capital, with a population of around 341,000.  I traveled to Old San Juan with its beautiful architecture, and the San Juan National Historic Site. I had to drive slowly along the uneven cobblestoned streets of Old San Juan.  The Spanish colonial influence was all around me, and I marveled at the colorful buildings with window boxes full of flowers. Finding a place to park was a challenge, especially with the very narrow streets and lots of traffic, but I finally found a parking garage.  

The San Juan National Historic Site is massive!  In the green space outside the walls, people both young and old were flying all kinds of kites.  I walked up the long walkway to Castillo San Felipe del Morro.  The views from the walls of this fort were amazing.  You could see far into the San Juan Bay. As I explored, I was impressed with how the fort has stood for so long. There were iguanas peeking out from crevices and basking in the sun.  Later, I walked up to Castillo San Cristóbal.  There was a musical group playing festive music, and I sat and listened for a while.

After I left Castillo San Cristóbal I walked into the main area of Old San Juan and looked for a place to eat, and came across a place called Puerto Criollo.  I liked it because they had outdoor seating, and I was basking in the warm winter air.  The server recommended the Mofongos Rellenos, which is steak with garlic sauce.  It was delicious.  I wish I could have eaten it all, but I couldn’t.  Sadly, I couldn’t take leftovers with me because I was not returning to the resort right away. 

Mofongos Rellenos

After lunch, I searched for Parque de las Palomas (or, Pigeon Park).  In this park, you could feed the pigeons, which many people were doing.  There were LOTS of pigeons there!  It was nice that they set aside an area to feed the birds.  The was a nice young man playing a keyboard there, and I enjoyed his music.



My last task in Old San Juan was to find a Starbucks and buy a mug for my collection.  Happy Day when I found one!

No comments:

Puerto Rico - Day 7 - El Yunque National Forest

 One of my favorite things to do while traveling is hiking.  El Yunque National Forest is located on the east side of Puerto Rico, and is f...